Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Hoarding and building up haphazardly

Following this theme, I decided to add an extra layer; my character would be not just a collector, but a compulsive collector, who fills all their space with stuff; a hoarder. However the notion of a compulsive hoarder who has an empty room, does present itself as something of a paradox. So why?
The room can be seen as a collected item; kept to be put to use for some unknown purpose, at some unknown time in the future, just as the collector might keep an empty jar, or an old floppy disc. The empty room also can be seen as a place of respite. A place for the self aware hoarder, to escape their compulsion to collect. A last bastion against their overwhelming compulsion.
I therefore decided my short narrative would be:

The compulsive hoarder dared not step foot into his room of respite. First he had to get things in order.




I then had to address the problems implicit in designing a space for a compulsive hoarder. How does one design a space for someone who ignores the very function of spaces, and just fills them with stuff? Would it just be a cube? a sphere full of shelves? The whole notion of walls, and their placement seemed suddenly redundant. Therefore, I decided to have no walls, instead I would just build upward, stacking one thing on top of another, in an entirely haphazard way. And the structure would be entirely made of shelves.

What I aimed to create was a precarious structure, built without a master plan. The structure would in fact be designed by the inhabitants complusion. And I based the aesthetic of this on scaffolding, and structures built out of 'things', as the pictures above illustrate.






No comments:

Post a Comment